Tony's Chocolonely Gingerbread Milk Chocolate 32%Regular price £4.00
How did it start?
Tony’s Chocolonely was originally created in Amsterdam in 2005 by investigative journalist Teun van de Keuken (Tony), and his team, who were making a TV show about hidden truths food industry – ‘Food Unwrapped’. They discovered that there is wide-spread slavery and illegal child labour on West African cocoa farms (where 60% of the world’s cocoa comes from) as a direct result of the farmers living in systemic poverty. When none of the ‘Big Choco’ companies they contacted would work with them to change this, they decided to change things from within and the first Tony’s Chocolonely bar was born. Tony’s is now the number 1 chocolate brand in The Netherlands, is sold in the USA and launched in the UK in January 2019.
How is Tony’s different?
Through direct, long-term relationships with cocoa farmers and cutting-edge technology, Tony’s has created a completely transparent and traceable bean-to-bar process. It pays a higher price for the cocoa beans to ensure farmers can earn a living income, provides business and agricultural training to increase productivity on cocoa farms and works together with cooperatives in which farmers are united and stand stronger together. Furthermore, one percent of Tony’s Chocolonely net revenue is donated to the Chocolonely Foundation, supporting projects to eradicate modern slavery in the cocoa chain.
The Serious Stuff:
- There are 2.1 million children that work illegally on cocoa farms in Ghana and Ivory Coast and at least 30,000 instances of modern slavery and trafficking. This is a direct result of the unequally divided cocoa chain. Tony’s exists to change this.
Other fun choco facts & info:
- The name ‘Tony’s Chocolonely’ illustrates Tony’s lonely fight against inequality in the chocolate industry, because the bigger chocolate companies didn’t want to help.
- Are bars are unequally divided because that’s how the chocolate industry is. The profits aren’t shared fairly in chocolate, so our bars can’t be either.
- Tony’s is Fairtrade certified – we pay famers the Tony’s premium on top of the Fairtrade premium to ensure they can earn a living income.
- Tony’s is BCorp certified – we believe in business as a force for good
- Our bar packaging is FSC certified paper and fully recyclable
- Our bars don’t contain any palm oil
- All our bars are vegetarian and our dark almond sea salt (lime green wrapper) and dark chocolate (blue wrapper) are dairy free.